Saturday, January 10, 2009

The Goodbye

As most of you know, my brother Neil passed away on January 8th. He was 32 years old. This is how I choose to remember my baby brother.


Victoria was terribly sad when I told her last night. She went in her room by herself for a little while to write down her thoughts. When she was done, she told me she felt better, almost happy for Uncle Neil. I felt better, too, a little. Here are her thoughts, the profound goodbye from a 9 year-old who is grieving:

My uncle passed away because he was really sick and my mommy told him when he was still alive that he should go up to heaven because it hurt when he breathed. So when he was ready to go, his hand was straight and never was straight for a long time. Tonight, I am sleeping with a blanket that he was getting warm by and my grandma gave my mommy a sign that said, GOOD NIGHT, SLEEP TIGHT, DON’T LET THE BED BUGS BITE! I will read that sign for now on and every night, I will say goodnight to him in my prayers. I love my uncle very much and I miss him very much too. I bet everything in his body is fixed now and he can stand up straight and tall! He isn’t going to have a funeral but I’m coming to Seattle where he is getting buried. I LOVE YOU UNCLE NEIL!!! YOUR WHOLE FAMILY LOVES YOU AND MISSES YOU TOO!!! Have a great and fun life up in heaven uncle.

HUGS AND KISSES,



VICTORIA J. J. KARR


4 comments:

  1. Victoria is the kindest, sweetest and most eloquent child. Grandma misses Neil too sweetheart but I am also happy he can run and play now! Love you Tata.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you guys, tell Tata that was beautiful. I am speechless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a precious picture, and those are beautiful words.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes children can say what is in our hearts! My prayers are with your family!

    ReplyDelete